Do I Need to Report Gold Transactions to the IRS?

When it comes to selling gold, it's important to know the rules and regulations that apply. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires you to report any physical sales of gold on Form 1099-B. This form must be submitted and indicate the type of metal you sell. In British law, gold sovereigns and Gold Britannia coins are free from capital gains taxes because they are considered legal British currency.

However, other gold coins, bars and bars are subject to tax rules based on their value and not on the purity of the gold metal content. Gold funds can have physical bullion, companies, futures contracts, and shares of gold mining companies. Gold in IRA must be pure, including maple leaf gold, Mexican ounce coins, but not South African Krugerrands. If you want to sell gold and silver items to a gold buyer, you'll need to provide one original form of photo identification or two original forms of text-based identification with your proof of address.

This includes coins and bars that measure 1 kilogram or 1000 troy ounces in weight respectively, along with any gold or silver item that has more than 50% pure gold or silver content. It's important to remember that tax liabilities for the sale of precious metals such as gold and silver do not expire at the time they are sold. Instead, physical gold or silver sales must be reported on Schedule D of Form 1040 on your next tax return. You only pay taxes when you sell your gold in cash, not when you buy more gold with the money.

Alan Crippen
Alan Crippen

Hipster-friendly baconaholic. Infuriatingly humble food fan. Passionate organizer. Typical tv guru. Infuriatingly humble web maven. Coffee evangelist.